Thursday 21 March 2013

In like a lion and out like a lamb!

21st March must be just as cold as in early January! I know this, because after training tonight on my ride home, I realised I couldn't feel my feet to pull them out of the toeclips! Oops.

But it's almost the end of March and I swear every single Tuesday and Thursday night since 8th Jan has been cold and wet...and 50/50 windy. Saturday paddles are often barmy in comparision. I do hope April realises that it is Spring and that means sun and warmth!!!

Despite this, some fantastic news from our training, we are paddling smoother and faster. We were in an Old Town tonight as Fifty would not doubt have sent us swimming. Bit of a slower canoe and in Jan it took us an hour to do 8 laps of the basin. Tonight we did 10 laps per hour. That's 5 miles in 1.5 hours with no flow, wind and 8 x 90 degree turns. I should also point out that Sarah had flown back from intensive work in Gibraltar just in time for our training so was a bit tired! Also, I have a sneaking suspicion her back still isn't 100% so her committment right now is really inspiring me to keep my stroke rate up and not be a wimp!

I am feeling very positive, even though my feet haven't warmed up and my red wine should be replaced by a warm shower. I'm putting it off though as I know from experience, showering while this cold actually hurts as you try and warm up. Positives for the night run down 30 Mile River if we are already used to mild hypothermia!!


3 comments:

  1. It was a stirling effort and I have to apologise for being less than enthusiastic or just downright crap.

    can taste the sour toe already

    ReplyDelete
  2. Distint flavour of Yukon Jack whiskey and preservative salt.

    ReplyDelete