Saturday 22 June 2013

The arrival...

Sarah's account of the journey to Whitehorse.

The day of leaving I was up at 5.30 to shower - stare aimlessly at the bags and then to print off and laminate the words for modern major general and little list.  Its a keeping the minds working tactic that we are attempting to learn both of these by the end of the race

Half way through setting up the laminator Dan stumbled out of bed and offered to come with me to get the Heathrow express.

I hate flying even after taking a fear of flying course - you have to wait - forever, its not comfortable (even in premium economy) and its boring.  I like flying flatbed - I cannot justify this but suspect that I may be more likely to say to hell with the upgrade cost on the way home.

This is an odd flight - sitting in the gate there are clearly regulars who are being hugged by the cabin crew!  I have never seen that on a transatlantic flight.

So during the flight I was introduced to the Caesar - this is Clamato (tomato juice with clam juice added ) and vodka.

Arrival at Vancouver was late but smooth and they have aquariums where you can watch the pretty jellyfish  What they don't have is a pay in lounge before you check in for your domestic flight and I have 4 hours until I meet Esther - well I guess it's all acclimatisation for long days!

So then several hours spent sitting and mooching (and getting a massage) and along wanders Esther and its time to check in for our flight north.  No one seems to quite get what we are waffling on about and off we wander for a bite to eat.  


I'm slightly worried that Esther isn't getting into the swing of practising sleep deprivation as she is currently passed out of the benches at the gate.

Checking in for AirNorth goes well even though our bags are hugely overweight and then at security there is a sign which tells us we have to put our thermos flasks in the bin  - we go slightly mental until we are told that the bin is in fact a tray.  It's not a particularly busy section of the airport but could take more capacity!


Onto the plane and we are both asleep before take off, which wakes me up.  We know that a snack was served as at times we saw the residual bits but we were too much sleeping to worry about this.



We arrived into Whitehorse at midnight and it was surprisingly light.  We were a bit sleepy so the first view of the river is from this morning - looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment