Wednesday 9 January 2013

New boat excitment!

So, somebody was very keen and excited (Sarah!) and spotted a new boat on ebay. An18th ft tandem marathon canoe that has been paddled quite a lot, including the DW.

So, obviously Bear(ly) Scared should have this to train in don't you think?

Here is the beauty, no name as yet but watch this space for photos when we pick it up!!

It is a little different from the Jensen 18 that will be supporting us from Whitehorse to Dawson but should be excellent fun to paddle together. So, I reckon by the time we get to June 26th 12 noon local time we will have trained in a Pakboat, an Old Town (round and round Shadwell basin) and the so far unknown canoe.

I've never paddled this type of canoe so it'll be a sharp learning curve for me I expect. However, I am so looking forward to starting training this weekend (norovirus permitting). If we can paddle through an English winter the Canadian summer should be fine!

All I need now is a carbon bentshaft paddle. Sarah wants a wooden one, understandably as they are very pretty but the obvious downside, which all you keen readers will have spotted, is that we won't be matching paddlers if that is the case. Ah well, S will have to find her pinkness somewhere else while I break the bank!

Esther

ps. in case anyone was wondering, I think comments are now turned on so please, anything you want to add, raise discussion on, offer advice etc...please do!

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I'm Francis from Belgium and in 2012 we participated the YRQ in tandem canoe.
    We paddled with the bent shaft paddle of Zaveral (Power Surge Light) and I recommand it. You can orde this paddle by http://www.stylosports.com/
    All the best
    Francis

    ReplyDelete