Friday 4 January 2013

T'was the night because Christmas

When my mind turned towards Christmas presents, and no, not because I was as excited as a child, nor because I love Christmas (which I don't), but because my list of suitable presents for my family to buy are just too brilliant!

  • firesteel
  • food pouches (to be stuffed with pasta meals, chicken for Sarah, maybe corned beef or smoked salmon for me etc)
  • tupperware (first aid kit, repairs, food, food and more food)
  • Avon so soft (bound to be midges)
  • Waterproof map pouch (otherwise it's a lot of laminating...Owen - cook you dinner for yours!)
  • expensive underwear (I asked for smartwool but if anyone has any suggestions / recommendations do let me now!)
  • I wanted to ask for a bentshaft paddle, wee bit too much for a present though I fear
It is odd how the race is now occupying my whole mind. I think of what kit we'll need, how we will plan the food and fuelling process, whether we can get more sponsorship and raise more money (Sarah is the guru for that mind you!)

The glaring gap, you may have noticed, is that I have not mentioned training!!

The reason is that I am a bit scared of that aspect. I've read that we need to be training 3-4 times a week with one of those a long 10 hour paddle. How are we going to fit that in with our busy working lives, our friends, partners, families? And we have to find somewhere to paddle for long stretches that isn't always circles around Shadwell Basin. Anyway, we'll update in the New Year regarding presents and we are due to have our first basin paddle Tuesday 8th January 2013 (25 weeks and 1 day before the YRQ begins)!.

Esther


No comments:

Post a Comment