Monday 21 January 2013

The toilet issue (especially for Sarah's mum's hairdresser)

So on average how many times do you need the loo in a day.  How many times do you need the loo if you are trying to drink plenty of water to stay dehydrated.

If every loo stop takes 5 minutes to get to shore, 5 minutes to get through the layers and do as a girl as to do and then 5 minutes to get back on course that's 15 minutes a trip.  That's a couple of hours wasted in any 24 hour period - more if you are not syncronised.

Now add into the mix the danger of bear, moose and wolverine attack whilst your pants (both types for those over the Atlantic) are round your ankles.

Esther favours the use of a she wee but this still requires you getting to shore (and deciding to go before the pressure is such that you have problems regulating the flow).  This also means that any chivalrous bears, who would not usually prey on lone women, may mistake you for a bloke and give chase anyway.  I believe the black bear is more chivalrous that a grizzly but still have concerns for the moose given what they say about them getting lose in the house.

Sarah wants a bucket  - this will spend most of the race under her seat and then when a girls got to do what a girls got to do she can have a bit of a shuffle, do as is required, redress and bail.

Other than catheterisation does anyone have any smart ideas on how to solve the toilet problem in a more glamorous way?

I'm afraid that the dedication comes down to a discussion which I suspect took place whilst waiting for my mum's highlights to set (sorry mum everyone now knows that the streaks aren't natural).  I agree it's a tricky issue and slightly baffling but I guess if Prince Harry can tell everyone how to pee in a helicopter on national news then I can write in my blog how to pee in a canoe.

In case anyone is interested when doing the Devizes to Westminster race (125 miles over 24 hours at Easter) the gents I know tend to just pee as they sit as there is an automatic disqualification for anyone passing water on the towpath so as not to scare the locals!  This is called the central heating system of the canoe and also explains why you should NEVER volunteer to help carry the boat when they are finished.

7 comments:

  1. It's me, ezwater, which may imply my interest in the topic. I use minicell pedestals in my canoes, and I've thought that it might be possible (pissable) to install a catch basin in the pedestal. This still means that split crotch pants might me needed, for either sex. But with landowners on either side of rivers becoming more possessive and touchy, I don't see an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use the bailer. Saves taking an extra bucket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand many men are found dead in the Canadian Rivers with their fly unzipped. This is not a canoe fatality but a Pee fatality. A few ideas to consider, racers need to get over being shy about normal body functions. The bailer works fine. If you opt to get a she wee or lady J then you can kneel in the canoe and direct the urine out of the canoe using your paddle as a gutter. Good luck on your adventure.

    A new book you may enjoy about Amos Burg is called The Last Voyageur by Vince Welch. He paddle the Yukon many times and it may help prepare you for what to expect.

    Concerning maps you may want to check for a company that makes custom waterproof maps. I have used http://www.mytopo.com/ The advantages are worth the cost. The biggest advantage is they will take what would require 9 maps to cover a section of river and put it on one page. I had a section of the Umpqua river that had tiny portions of the river cross one corner of a map then on to another only to have it repeat on another map. I would go crazy trying to unfold these 9 maps only to find it had a half mile of river on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife has tried several methods and has it worked out. Some women get stage fright and simply can't go in the boat but must go ashore. You are right, you loose much time if you do step ashore. I would worry less about bears and moose, they are around but not that much. Waterproof maps are great, you can buy them in Whitehorse or make your own. Our set has 41 pages in a flip over ring binder setup so you see excellent detail on each page. We also each have a map set for discussion while paddling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Clark (Team Pas de L'On)22 January 2013 at 13:11

    Ryerson tells people I have a urinal museum because I tried so many when we first started this madness of long distance paddling. Some of our friends who are really serious about racing "go" in the boat. This is simply unpleasant, especially for the support crews and volunteers who carry or clean the boats. I knew I could not do that so I felt my only option was to get out of the boat. As you say, a real time waster. There are a number of urinals designed for women. They have unfortunate names like Feminal, She Pee, She Whiz, Go Gal. and on and on. They are basically urinals that are shaped differently at the opening. I believe I tried them all. Lady J works well if you snap it into a Long John (I swear, I am not making these names up). I found the Lady J split after some use. I now use a one piece plain plastic travel urinal for women. I got it on Amazon and the only modification I made was to cut off a piece of the opening to make it shorter so I only have to slide forward on my seat and don't have to raise up. It is a little more difficult in the front seat but still workable.

    Here's the thing I learned in the 2012 YRQ that I think is the most useful. Don't wear pants. It is very difficult to pull down your pants and use the urinal when space is limited. The more layers you wear, the greater the difficulty. I switched to sport skirts. I use a lighter skirt for warmer weather and a rain skirt from SKOOP for the night or colder times. I also sewed in inside pockets at the upper thighs where I can put heat packs if I am cold. Under the skirt I wear leg warmers (cycling) as necessary. This reduces the waistbands I have to deal with. A lot of paddlers, including us, will go ashore at checkpoints when they want to change clothes or have a stretch. Every long training paddling (over 6 hours) and every race teaches me more about improving personal comfort and what I will and can tolerate. Can't wait for the lessons of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yukoners just use a jam jar or the baler. No big deal.Very easy, pull down your pants, slide forward use the jam jar, chuck it over the side.
    this is not going to be an issue once you've done it twice , you'll be an expert!
    Now staying awake- that's going to take some doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - this is great - who would have thought that this topic would have created so much comment. We really appreciate all of the suggestions and I'll be trying them. I don't usually get stage fright as yesterdays crouch behind a bridge proved.
    I hadn't thought of wearing a skirt though I have to admit when paddling in the summer I do quite often wear a sarong or a running skirt.

    ReplyDelete